The latest numbers from Allstate show that catalytic converter replacements among its customers grew 1,155% nationally between 2019 and 2022. You read that right: over a thousand percent!
And Allstate is not alone in this pandemic. According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, a trade organization for the insurance industry, catalytic converter thefts nationwide increased 1,215% between 2019 and 2022.
In many states, Allstate has seen alternatives rise well beyond the national average during this time. In the Pacific Northwest, Oregon and Washington reported increases of over 7,000%. On the East Coast, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and New York rounded out the top five states with increases between 4,500% and 7,000%.
What’s the deal with catalytic converters, anyway? They control your car’s exhaust emissions. They also contain precious metals that attract thieves.
|rank||state||He increases||rank||state||He increases|
Check your insurance coverage
Comprehensive coverage like that offered by Allstate can pay to repair or replace a covered vehicle damaged by vandalism, theft, or attempted theft.
Try to prevent theft
You can help make the catalytic converter — and the car — less attractive to thieves:
- Park in well-lit areas and near building entrances.
- If a garage is available, park your car inside and close the garage door.
- Use an alarm system to alert thieves that the vehicle is protected.
- See if your local repair shop or police department can help. This could include:
- Install a steel plate or cable directly covering the catalytic converter to prevent it from being stolen.
- Paint the adapter a bright color and put your vehicle identification number (VIN) on it.
Allstate is a proud member of the National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC), which has supported state legislation designed to reduce catalytic converter thefts, including making it more difficult to resell stolen parts and introducing tougher penalties for thieves.
From comprehensive coverage to savings for safe driving with Drivewise®, Allstate offers a suite of affordable, simple, connected solutions to protect drivers and vehicles. Find out more at Allstate.com or follow @Allstate on social media.
Views after: 181